On Tuesday evening I was home alone. Not in the Macaulay Culkin sense… there wasn’t a tin of paint or a burglar in sight. No, Jake was away doing business – in Bucharest of all places. So I had the rare chance to eat whatever I wanted to in the evening. My mind started conjuring up all the foodstuffs loved by me, and loathed by Jake; olives, fennel, butternut squash… salad. Yes that would be it. A nice Asian salad. This is what I came up with, and it really was delicious…
Asian prawn salad with avocado pitta
– Put 200g of prawns in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of honey, 1 chopped up red chilli, 1 crushed garlic clove. Marinade for a few minutes in the fridge.
– Put one pitta bread under the grill to warm while you prepare the salad.
– In a nice big bowl put a handful of mixed leaves, one grated carrot, 6 chopped up mange tout, 6 sliced small vine tomatoes, 2 chopped up spring onions, a few slices of cucumber.
– Once salad is prepared, fry prawns with the marinade for 2-3 minutes til just pink. Turn heat off and leave pan on stove.
– Take pitta out of the grill, cut in half. Slice a ripe and soft avocado in half. Use the avocado like butter and spread it inside the two pitta halves. Cut the pitta with the avocado inside into “soldiers” and place around the edge of the salad bowl. Pretty.
– Finally, pour your prawns with the marinade over the top of the salad.